Our Community Health Advocate at JustUs Health conducts program activities connected to our Syringe Exchange Services, HIV and HCV testing, and PrEP Navigation Services. This type of work includes assessing barriers individuals living with HIV face in maintaining optimal HIV health and help them overcome those barriers by offering referrals to HIV care and risk reduction resources. The person in this role will spend a good amount of time supporting our syringe exchange services at offsite location(s) for walk-in clients, educating them regarding safer injections/safer sex, overdose prevention, Minnesota laws and statutes around injection drug use and possession of injection drug equipment.
- Educating program participants about HIV and HCV disease, transmission and resources.
- Working with people who inject drugs from a nonjudgmental, harm reduction perspective, offering emotional support when dealing with the personal issues of clients while maintaining appropriate boundaries.
- Providing advocacy necessary to secure needed resources to meet the client’s basic needs.
- Referring clients to HIV medical and support services who have a reactive HIV or HCV test and following up to ensure linkage to care.
- Conducting rapid HIV testing which involves finger pokes and collection of a small amount of blood and delivering HIV test results.
- Providing PrEP education to all syringe exchange and testing program participants and referrals to PrEP clinics with identified clients.
- Presenting training on topics like includes HIV 101, PrEP services, Overdose Prevention and Harm Reduction strategies to staff and community members.
- Bachelor's Degree and/or 1+ years of social service experience
- Reliable transportation with the ability to travel offsite to syringe exchange locations, training locations, etc.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook).
- Excellent verbal and written communication, problem solving and organizational skills.
- Comfort and skill in addressing Gay/Bi/MSM/Queer and Transgender health issues in a non-judgmental manner.
- Capacity to work with HIV-positive people, and those engaged in risk behaviors for HIV in individual settings.
- May have responsibility to lift and /or carrying of supplies up to 25 Pounds without assistance
This is a non-exempt position with a full-time starting annual salary in the mid-30K range based on experience. Benefits include medical, dental, vision, and other ancillary benefits, as well as organization-paid life insurance and long-term disability. We provide our employees with paid time off and 10 paid holidays.
NOTE: Those with lived experiences in or passion about African American and multi-racial communities who are disproportionately impacted by HIV, Gay/Bi/MSM/Queer and Transgender health issues, HIV-positive people and those engaged in risk behaviors for HIV in individual settings are strongly encouraged to apply.
Please submit a cover letter and resume to:
Attn: Human Resources
2577 Territorial Road
St. Paul, MN 55114