JustUs Health seeks a third-year law student, a new attorney, or an attorney seeking to move into public interest law to work with us to develop a project and proposal for an Equal Justice Works Fellowship. The candidate would work with our legal and development staff to develop the project and submit a proposal to Equal Justice Works. If funded, the role would be a 2-year attorney position at JustUs Health with an annual salary of $50,000.
ABOUT JUSTUS HEALTH
JustUs Health exists to end health inequity for people who experience injustice at the intersection of health status and identity. JustUs Health centers individuals and communities at risk of and living with HIV; and/or facing barriers to equitable health care access and outcomes because of their identity as gender, sexual, and/or racial minorities. The mission of JustUs Health is to work for equitable health care access and outcomes for people who experience injustice at the intersection of health status and identity.
OUR LEGAL SERVICES
JustUs Health's Legal Services provide legal advice, brief services, and direct representation for HIV–related issues or, particularly in the health-care context, sexual orientation, or gender identity. We offer both free and fee-based legal services. In addition to direct legal services, we also provide support to service providers and the general public by answering questions, conducting training, and providing educational materials as capacity permits. JustUs Health staff and volunteers provide legal assistance in the following areas (some services as noted are limited to People Living with HIV only): 1) Access and Stigma Reduction Services including Health Insurance Access, Discrimination, Employment, Confidentiality, Immigration; 2) Disability Planning Services including Debtor and Creditor, Estate Planning and Probate, Permanency Planning, and Social Security Disability.
ABOUT THIS PROJECT
This project would be a new initiative seeking to combine the direct client legal work and legal advocacy work that is part of JustUs Health’s portfolio. The JustUs Health Equal Justice Works Fellow, if funded, is a two (2)-year fellowship program and will work closely with our client services (particularly legal services), advocacy, and education staff to advance the organization's mission; including identifying ways to increase racial equity and economic justice for populations that we serve that face disparity in health and outcomes due to low income, race and gender identity.
The Fellow will
- Provide direct legal services, representing individuals in insurance appeals, disability cases, and basic estate planning, and in other areas which build on the suite of services already offered, expanded where possible and desirable.
- Work under the guidance of one or both organization’s on-staff attorneys, while also being invited to identify further opportunities within the organization to make JustUs Health's vision a reality.
- Build on the dynamic interaction between community education on legal rights, individual legal services, and policy/systems change to further position JustUs Health as a leader in these efforts.
- Assist in developing and delivering - in the challenging context of the current pandemic - informational programs and materials for the communities we serve regarding legal rights, opportunities, and challenges related to health.
- Use these and other opportunities to gather observations and input from community members and work with staff to identify ways to improve relevant public policy, with an emphasis on community engagement in the process.
The candidate will work with JustUs Health client services, development & advocacy, and research teams to co-design and write a project proposal for funding to Equal Justice Works. Proposals are due to Equal Justice Works by 09/17/2020.
- More information about the JustUs Health legal services at https://www.justushealth.org/legal
- More information about Equal Justice Works at https://www.equaljusticeworks.org/become-a-fellow/design-your-own-fellowship/
- You must have graduated from an Equal Justice Works Member Law School before September 2021 with a J.D. or LL.M.
- You may not have held a full-time (more than 30 hours/week), permanent, public interest lawyer position previously, though applicants coming from bridge/gap fellowships or clerkships are eligible.
- Experienced private-sector lawyers who have demonstrated a commitment to public interest law and have the relevant skills and initiative to carry out the goals of the project are encouraged to apply.
- Candidates may not have participated previously in any major fellowship program such as the Skadden Fellowship Program, Echoing Green Fellowship, Soros Justice Fellowship, etc.
- NOTE: Those currently or previously involved in other Equal Justice Works programs are eligible to apply for the Design-Your-Own Fellowship.
To express interest please email your resume and cover letter (detailing your interest and project concept and how it fits in with the mission of JustUs Health) by July 31, 2020 to the Director of Client Services (Asneth Omare) at email@example.com.