The Legal Assistant at JustUs Health will serve as a point of contact for clients and referring providers regarding all aspects of the legal program. The candidate will conduct client intakes, assessment of program eligibility, and determining the nature of the client's legal problem(s). The position will also perform tasks related to the provision of legal services to clients under the direction and supervision of a licensed attorney to further the organizational mission of JustUs Health as we continue to lead work to achieve health equity for diverse gender, sexual, and cultural communities. The Legal Assistant will work internally with other staff and with other agencies to assist clients in being referred to organization and partner agencies for appropriate legal services.
- Answering and returning phone calls, conducting client intakes, assessing program eligibility, and determining the nature of the client's legal problem(s).
- Screening potential cases for eligibility based on the agency's issue priorities and providing referrals as needed
- Providing substantive legal support through written and verbal client communication, document gathering, drafting pleadings and correspondence, and other case work as assigned based on client’s legal needs and program guidelines
- Working internally with other staff and with other agencies to assist clients in being referred to the JustUs Health legal services program and partner agencies for appropriate legal services
- Coordinating and/or conducting outreach and community legal education.
- Providing support to staff, interns/law clerks and volunteer attorneys including assisting with legal research, preparation of legal documents, and clerical work
- Entering and tracking data, including maintaining and creating reports
- Establishing and maintaining knowledge of federal and private disability programs, estate planning, debt, public and private health insurance, and other issues faced by JustUs Health targeted communities
- Performing other duties as assigned and as needed based on supervisor, department, and/or agency need
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience.
- Minimum of one-year experience in a legal support role with a knowledge of and interest in legal services for a low-income people.
- Commitment to provide legal services to diverse individuals at risk for or living with HIV and those of diverse gender and sexual orientation.
- Attentive to detail with a strong analytical ability.
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize projects while working under strict deadlines.
- Advanced drafting, proof reading, formatting and editing skills.
- Initiative and ability to work independently; ability to organize workload and complete assigned duties efficiently and effectively.
- Ability to comprehend and utilize substantial amounts of legal and benefits information.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Willingness to deal with work and office problems openly and constructively.
- Lived experience in or passion about LGBTQ communities and communities affected by HIV.
- Paralegal certificate or comparable experience
- Experience with federal and private disability programs, public and private health insurance, estate planning, and debt, government-funded contracts, reporting, and compliance.
- Professional support to diverse individuals at risk for or living with HIV and those of diverse gender and sexual orientation (or equivalent experience)
This is a non-exempt position with a full-time starting annual salary between $38,000 and $42,000 based on experience. Benefits include medical, dental, and vision insurance, and company paid life insurance and long-term disability. We provide our employees with paid time off and paid holidays.
Please submit a cover letter and resume to:
Attn: Human Resources
2577 Territorial Road
St. Paul, MN 55114